National Cocktail Day! Well, it is actually Wednesday but I couldn’t resist an excuse to experiment with some new recipes. These cocktails are remixes on some classics. The typical tequila sunrise for example, is a very sweet drink. With this jalapeno infused tequila it kicks the sweetness and is definitely more balanced and has a spicy kick. The key lime martini tastes almost exactly like the pie. It has that tartness but is also creamy. Finally everyone knows about the go-to strawberry daquiris but this one highlights banana, very pina colada esque. You could also substitute the recipe with any other of your favorite fruits.
- 1 cup coconut milk, divided
- 1 lime, juiced, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 cups ice, divided
- 4 ounces white rum, optional, divided
- Into a blender add 1 banana, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 of the lime juice, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 3 cups of ice and add 2 ounces of rum if desired.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into 2 tall glasses, and repeat for 2 more drinks.
Spicy Tequila Sunrise
- 1 small jalapeno, halved
Spicy Tequila Sunrise:
- 1/2 ounce grenadine syrup
- 1 orange slice, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno slice, for garnish
- For the spicy tequila: Pour the tequila into a small jar and add the jalapeno. Cover and let sit overnight or up to 2 days if you want it really spicy.
- Strain, discarding the jalapeno. Cover and store in a cool, dark place.
- For the spicy tequila sunrise: Fill a tall glass with ice. Pour in the orange juice and spicy tequila.
- Slowly pour in the grenadine and watch it sink to the bottom; do not stir.
- Garnish with the orange and jalapeno slices and a cherry.
Key Lime Martini
- 2 shots vanilla vodka
- 1/2 shot key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (recommended: Coco Lopez)
- 1 shot pineapple juice
- Add all ingredients to a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a martini glass. Serve.
Whether you try these out for National Cocktail Day it is great to have in your pocket for a random weeknight happy hour or pick me up at home. Let me know if you end up trying them out.
Here is some more cocktail recipe inspo