Football fans or not, I think everyone looks forward to Super bowl Sunday for some good tailgate style classics. Game day is coming up and I wanted to share a few of these no hassle snacks you can whip up in about 15 minutes each. Everyone needs a good dip to serve at parties. This seven layer dip is pretty much semi-homeade, adding a few touches to the key ingredients and warming them through. Be warned its packed with flavor and on the spicy side, but you and your guests are sure to love it.
Sliders are always a great choice for tailgates and game days. These are also so easy to make and super flavorful from the meat itself and extra impressive with that homemade ketchup. These chocolate peanut butter muffins are also incredibly easy to make and delicious. Barely any ingredients (from a baking standpoint) and the mixer does all the work. Perfect for a no hassle sweet but not too sweet ending. They are also great to stock up on and have with your morning coffee.
Seven Layer Dip
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar green chili or tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, a palm full, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2/3 palm full
- 1 (16 to 18 ounce) jar chipotle salsa
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Pimiento stuffed jumbo Spanish olives, chopped
- Tortilla chips
- Heat refried beans in small nonstick pan over medium heat and season with hot sauce. Transfer the beans to a small, deep casserole dish. Scrape pan clean with rubber spatula and return to heat.
- Add a little extra-virgin olive oil to the pan and raise heat to high. When the oil smokes, add the scallions and sear them, 2 to 3 minutes. Add green salsa to scallions and heat through. Add cilantro, remove salsa from heat, and layer on top of the beans.
- Return the same pan to the stove, lower heat to medium and add black beans, heat through and season with cumin, layer on top of the green salsa.
- Top the black beans with a layer of chipotle salsa.
- Mix sour cream the lime zest and juice and spread on top of the chipotle salsa.
- In a separate bowl, combine the meat of 2 ripe avocados with garlic, lemon juice, jalapeno and salt to form a chunky guacamole.
- Top the salsa with guacamole.
- Garnish the dip with the final layer of diced tomatoes and sliced olives.
Note: For those who prefer it less spicy, you can adjust the amount of the spicier ingredients such as the Chipotle Salsa (use a 5 oz bottle instead), less or no hot sauce on the refried beans, or adding less jalapeno to the guacamole.
Mini Chipotle Beef Burgers with Warm Fire Roasted Garlic Ketchup
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in 1/2
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
2 chipotles in adobo and 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 (15-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes, about 2 cups
Salt and pepper
12 slices, 1/2-inch thick, brick-cut smoked Cheddar or sharp Cheddar,
12 small round rolls (slider buns), split
- Preheat grill pan to high.
- Place the meat in a bowl. Cut the onion in half. Grate half the onion into the meat using the small grate on a box grater. Chop and reserve the other half onion.
- Add Worcestershire, chipotles and sauce and grill seasoning to burgers. Drizzle a little extra-virgin olive oil over the bowl and mix meat.
- Score the meat into 4 sections. Make 3 mini-burgers, each 3 inches wide, 1-inch thick, from each half-pound of meat.
- Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Cook garlic 2 to 3 minutes then add sugar and vinegar, cook 2 minutes more and stir in tomatoes.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper and allow it to reduce 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Grill meat 2 to 3 minutes on each side and top with cheese, if you like.
- Place burgers on buns and top with raw chopped onions and warm fire roasted ketchup and serve.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line mini muffin tins with paper cups or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a mixer with a whip attachment, mix together the peanut butter, egg, and sugars until smooth.
- Add milk in 3 additions, mixing well each time.
- Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add to the peanut butter mixture. Mix on low just until the flour disappears.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups filling 3/4 full and bake until puffed up and firm on top, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan.
Are you guys football fans? Would love to hear your recipes and suggestions for Superbowl Sunday.